Tuesday, September 11, 2018

We're Back, As Usual

Actually, that Green Day song title would be too late; our rehearsals resume starting Tuesday night, September 25 at 7 PM in the usual location. As usual, we need new singers in all four parts, but especially soprano and bass, so go get 'em. As not so usual, we now need an accompanist also; otherwise, we'll be even more a cappella than, well...usual. But we will adapt and overcome, as usual we always have before.

A few loose ends, two of which are rather somber:
  • I write this on the 17th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on our country. Please pray for the leadership of both the United States and our Church, and remember the souls of the 3,000 who perished that day, including the fire and police personnel who gave their lives to save so many others. Just before we moved to Nevada 10 years ago, I took the above photos while visiting Shanksville, PA where Flight 93 crashed because of the intervention of the passengers who prevented another attack. I got to sing Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei with my Maryland choir about six years earlier, not knowing how often it would be played in memory of this day.
  • I mentioned this on Facebook, but we recently lost a priest for whom we sang. Fr. Tom Donnelly occasionally celebrated Mass in the Extraordinary Form at Holy Spirit Mission. I'll never forget him introducing himself to Sandy and me at Our Lady of Tahoe, then asking me how long I'd been unemployed. I never told him I was unemployed, but I was at the time. He then prayed with us.
    Fr. Tom went to receive his heavenly reward on August 31. May he rest in peace. His funeral will take place Friday, September 14 at 11 AM at the church where he was the founding pastor, St. Rose of Lima. 
  • Speaking of Facebook, I tried running a boost of one of our posts to other users in northern Nevada. At least a few hundred people saw it, but I'm not sure that will translate into any new members. Just wanted to disclose what I've been doing.
  • On a (fortunately) lighter note regarding What I Did On My Summer Vacation: Kudos to Kathy who, with my wife and alto Sandy, helped me out of a spot. Earlier this summer, I ended up in the emergency room of Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital in Grass Valley, CA after I fell on rocks while trying to climb down to the South Yuba River (above photo courtesy of the South Yuba River Park Association). Turns out I also had heat exhaustion. Kathy rode along with Sandy so she could drive my car back to Reno. Thank you, Jesus and my Guardian Angel, for keeping me from anything more than a bruise on my upper right leg; I could easily have hit my head. Thanks also be to Kathy (and her husband Bob) for sacrificing over four hours out of their day to help me out. I welcome any stories you have from this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment