Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Who Knew?

Before I cantored this past Trinity Sunday, I noticed something about the altar at St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral and took the above photo. It was the first time I can remember ever seeing the writing behind the crucifix, which appears to be from the Extraordinary Form Eucharistic Prayer:

ACCÍPITE ET MANDUCÁTE EX HOC OMNES: 

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM, 
QUOD PRO VOBIS TRADÉTUR.

ACCÍPITE ET BÍBITE EX EO OMNES: 

HIC EST ENIM CALIX SÁNGUINIS MEI 
NOVI ET AETÉRNI TESTAMÉNTI, 
QUI PRO VOBIS ET PRO MULTIS EFFUNDÉTUR 
IN REMISSIÓN E M PECCATÓRUM. 

HOC FÁCITE IN MEAM COMMEMORATIÓNEM.

Compare this photo with one I took a few years back:

Curtains of various colors usually covered the words. I'm not sure whether the removal of the coverings has anything to do with the imminent departure of the Friars from the Cathedral, but it's at least nice to know those words are there. Any further explanation and/or background is welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment